Sunday, February 3, 2008

Pats will win, unless of course the Giants do.



Mike Greenberg, one half of the fearless duo "Mike and Mike in the Morning" on ESPN radio, recently rolled big, with a balls to the wall prediction. Paraphrasing of course, he stated that he was sticking with his year long prediction declaring the Patriots would go all the way, 19-0, 1.000, perfect perfection, winning the Super Bowl... but, he said he would not be surprised if the Giants won, in fact he said that had he not picked the Patriots so early in the season, he would have in reality, picked the Giants. Wow, so he's basically picking the Pats to be perfect, and yet coyly picking the Giants as well. It has recently turned a bit in-vogue to select our group of "deer staring at the headlights Giants". I will stick with that, more on that now…

Like I said in the preceding paragraph, I would rather not stoop to the levels of sports broadcasting that Greeny got to, so I will go out on the limb that Dr. Z has gone to and pick the Giants to win. GIANTS WILL WIN! 27-21. This isn't based on scouting reports, injuries, or even the fact that the Giants have a lot of momentum going for them. Oh no, not your friend DV, if you know my identity then you should know that making decisions based on rationale has never been my forte.

This is a decision based totally on hatred. Although you must realize first that I hate the Giants. I hate their whiny ways, I hate them with a deep passion, I don't hate them as much as the Eagles or Seahawks but pretty damn close. You may ask yourself, why would I pick the Giants if I hate them? Well, because I hate the Patriots even more.

Even deeper rooted is the fact that I'm getting sick of New England teams. I'm sick of Boston, period. They have been in recent years always in the discussion for championships. Then, to add fuel to the fire, I used to love reading Bill Simmons, part of his charm as a Pop Culture writer was that the Red Sox always lost, that he was the loveable loser. Now, they have two championships in three years and it's just not the same. If the Celtics make it to the Finals this year I'm giving up. I understand that they deserve some good karma for all the years of mediocrity and just plain mental retardation in sports, but enough is enough! Now we have to go from "The Curse of the Bambino" to "Perfect Patriots"? Now, instead of getting his good columns, we're getting "Which was the best Boston team? Oh, hell no.

And then there was this, just to add salt to an open wound, we get his fearless prediction for Super Bowl XLII,

"The Big Pick: Patriots 42, Giants 17.

Playoff record: 5-4-1
Regular Season: 118-129-9."

I mean, this guy's got balls declaring the Giants as 25 point dogs in the Super Bowl. Doesn't he know anything about history, doesn't he know anything about SPORTSKARMA! You would think a guy in his position would be more careful with randomness like this, especially when he has a losing Regular Season record and not a great Playoff Record as well. Finally, as most of his columns always end, the inevitable happens. In classic "Sports Guy" fashion, he references a movie/TV show/commercial/yadda yadda yadda. In this case, he goes with "The Perfect Storm". Naturally, the Patriots are the wave that crashes down on the hapless George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg, representing the Giants. Well, I got a couple of other movies perhaps you've seen Simmons, Rocky, Hoosiers, The Longest Yard, Rudy, Rocky II… Oh well, you get the point. I guess referencing a random movie because it fits your particular point of view is kind of retarded.

Anyway, I digress.

Thank God we have a Quarterback that just doesn't give a fuck and is ready to throw it up to a receiver that wants desperately to prove himself to the big boys of the NFL. Plaxico will win big. I mean, just look at this picture of Eli taken on Wednesday before the game. The man just wants to party, he just doesn't care!

Well, just remember, you heard it here first, Giants will win, just like that. And no, I'm not going to pull a Greeny, or pull this blog if I am publicly humiliated. It shall remain. DV out.

1 comment:

Sunday War said...

Ram, can you please pick my lottery tickets now?